Selectmen Meeting Minutes — January 18, 2011 — 3:30 p.m. —
Call to order: Joe Judd called the meeting to order at 3:30 pm. Other members present: John Payne.
1. FY' 12 Budget Directives -- Continuing the discussion of possible salary increases for the FY '12 Budget, Joe noted that the 2 ? % step increases are independent of any merit or other increases and should not be diminished by other increase that might be awarded to the entire staff. John acknowledged that the step increases are part of the hiring contract but differed on whether or not individuals receive a step increase in any year must also receive a merit or other increase. In many organizations increases vary from employee to employee depending on performance or other factors. After further discussion, John noted that for the five individuals entitled to receive step increase, the proposed 2% merit increase totals $2,386.40, a modest amount in the context of the total budget. John made a motion that the Budget Directives for FY '12 include a 2% salary increase for all staff (including those receiving a step increase). Joe 2nd the motion which past unanimously.
2. Hager Farm Access Road Request -- Joe presented a request from the Hager Farm to remove one row of apple trees along the eastern boundary line of the town land the Hager's rent to allow better access to the remaining trees. Hager will remove both the trees and the stump, leveling the land to a smooth surface. John made a motion to approve the request. Joe 2nd the motion which then past unanimously.
3. Energy Grant -- John and Dan Post met with a local, retired contractor to discuss writing the bid specs; the contractor suggested including a local architectural firm that has software that greatly speeds the bid spec writing process. The contractor does not have a cost estimate for the spec writing yet but will supply one shortly.
4. Memorial Drive -- Business owners have returned the survey; all want the contributed funds to be used to pay for snow plowing rather than returned, use until the funds expire; none want to take on the job of overseeing the process of coordinating an agreement among users.
5. Board of Health -- Requested permission to use grant funds to cover four additional hours per week for the next 16 weeks to pay the BOH clerk to complete the ongoing project of updating the current filing system. Also request additional funds from the grant to purchase a new laptop computer. On a motion by John, seconded by Joe this request received unanimous approval.
6. Zoning Board Scanner -- Joe reported that he has approved the ZBA's request to use funds in its budget to purchase a scanner to load documents into the committee PC. The cost is $450 plus a coupon.
7. Abandoned, pregnant dog -- Joe reported that the dog found abandoned on Old Greenfield Road in poor health has survived and given birth (via cesarean) to 7 puppies, 5 of which have also survived; mother and puppies doing well and looking for new homes; brief discussion about establishing a fund from voluntary contributions to cover the cost of medical treatment for abandoned animals.
8. Vacation Scheduling -- Joe reported that he has meet with the Town Hall staff to discuss establishing a vacation schedule for both elected and appointed staff. Individuals would record their planned vacation times on a common document available to all with the intent of providing some level of coverage in Town Hall every week.
9. Special Town Meeting -- Members reviewed the 7 warrant articles for the Special Town Meeting at 7:30 pm on February 14th. After discussion, John moved and Joe 2nd a motion to approve the 7 articles; the motion carried unanimously.
Public Comment -- None
Adjournment -- On a motion by John, 2nd by Joe, the meeting adjourned at 4:37 pm.
Clerk, Select Board
Town of Shelburne
Posted to: Selectboard