Open Space Committee
Meeting Schedule: Fourth Monday of each month, 7 pm in Shelburne Town Hall , unless otherwise posted.
No meetings currently scheduled.
11 of 14 seats. 3 years each seat.
- David Schochet. 2021.
- Thor Holbek. June, 2021.
- Gary Lapoint. 2022.
- Joan Greenfield. 2022.
- Larry Flaccus. 2022.
- Jim Perry. 2023.
- Joel Dwight. 2023.
- Seth Wilschutz, Agriculture Commission Representative. June, 2024.
- Norman Davenport, Conservation Commission Representative.
- Tom Johnson, Planning Board Representitive.
- Norman Beebe, Recreation Committee Representative.
Who we are
The Open Space Committee is an advisory body that was established by Town Meeting in May, 2005 to carry forward the recommendations of the Shelburne Open Space and Recreation plan . The Committee includes members appointed by the Selectboard for 3-year terms, and a representative appointed for one-year terms from each of the Agricultural Commission, Conservation Commission, Planning Board and Recreation Committee.
The Committee works with the Selectboard, Town Boards, other local, regional and state officials, regional farm and conservation advocacy organizations, members of the business community, landowners, farmers, and citizens on issues relative to open space preservation in Shelburne.
What is Open Space?
"Open space" is land that is undeveloped, generally without paved roads or permanent structures, and shall include, but not be limited to, land to protect existing and future well fields, aquifers and recharge areas, watershed land, agricultural land, grasslands, fields, forest land, fresh water marshes and other wetlands, river, stream, lake and pond frontage, lands to protect scenic vistas, land for wildlife or nature preserve and land for active or passive recreational use such as the use of land for community gardens, trails, and noncommercial youth and adult sports, and the use of land as a park, playground or athletic field.
What we do
The Open Space Committee carries out the action plan mandated by the Town through the Open Space and Recreation Plan adopted in 2004 and updated in 2014 by the Town. Activities include:
- Working to ensure that Shelburne sustains its small town environment characterized by general peace and quiet, clean air and water, safety from crime and vandalism, and maintains its rural character outside of Shelburne Falls while supporting infrastructure of the village;
- Working to ensure that Shelburne maintains or improves the quality of its air, drinking water, streams and other surfaces waters including the Deerfield River, and maintains and improves the quality of farm and forestlands, scenic views, and wildlife habitat through the conservation of locally important natural and open space resources;
- Working to ensure that Shelburne maintains and improves the quality and accessibility of all its recreational facilities and programming.
Open Space and Recreation Plan
See below for the sections of the Shelburne Open Space and Recreation Plan adopted in 2014.
- Table of Contents: Section_01-Table_of_Contents.pdf
- Introduction: Section_02-Introduction
- Community Setting: Section_03-Commuity_Setting
- Environmental Inventory and Analysis: Section_04-Environmental_Inventory_and_Analysis
- Inventory of Lands of Conservation and Recreational Interest: Section_05-Inventory_of_Lands_of_Interest
- Community Goals: Section_06-Community_Goals
- Analysis of Needs: Section_07-Analysis_of_Needs
- Goals and Objectives: Section_08-Goals_and_Objectives
- Seven Year Action Plan: Section_09-Seven_Year_Action_Plan
- Public Comments: Section_10-Public_Comments
- Zoning Map (2008): 2008 Zoning Map
- Regional Context Map: Regional Context Map
- Cultural Inventory Map: Cultural Inventory Map
- Map of Existing Farms and Agricultural Resources:Map of Farms and Agricultural Resources
- Natural Resources Inventory Map: Natural Resources Inventory
- Developable Soils and Development Constraints Map: Developable Soils Map
- Land Use Suitability Map: Land Use Suitability Map
- Protected Open Space Map: Protected Open Space Map
- Protected Open Space Map with parcel lines shown: Protected Open Space Map showing parcel lines
- Seven Year Action Plan Map: Seven Year Action Plan Map 2014-2021
Hiking and Walking in Shelburne
- Village walk covering intetresting trees, historical buildings and places of note: Village Walking Tour
- Hiking Trails in and around Shelburne for all abilities: Shelburne Hiking Trails
Links to Land Planning Websites
- 2007 Changes to Chapter 61 – Fact Sheet (pdf-44kb)
- Chapter 61: Taxation of Forest Land: www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/61-1.htm
- Chapter 61A: Taxation of Agricultural Land: www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/61a-1.htm
- Chapter 61B: Taxation of Recreational Land: www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/61b-1.htm
Community Preservation Act
- Chapter 44b: Community Preservation Act: www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/44b-1.htm
- Information on Conservation restrictions:www.mass.gov/envir/dcs/restrictions/default.htm
- Massachusetts Reference Manual on Conservation Restrictions:www.mass.gov/envir/dcs/pdf/restrictions.pdf
- Land Conservation Options:http://masswoods.net/future-my-land/land-conservation-options
Land conservation and estate planning tools
- Deciding the Future of My Land:http://masswoods.net/future-my-land
- Keystone Forestry Management Program:http://masskeystone.net/
Area Land Trusts
- Franklin Land Trust: Franklin Land Trust
- Hilltown Land Trust: Hilltown Land Trust
- Mount Grace Land Conservation Trust: Mt. Grace Land Trust
- Kestrel Land Trust: Kestrel Land Trust
- ACORN Cooperative Resource Network:http://www.massacorn.net/
- Conservation Assessment and Prioritization System: CAPS tools
- Mon, Sep 27, 2021 at 07:00 PM -- Zoom:To Join Zoom Meeting https://us02web.zoom.us/j/91759213473 or Dial 1-929-205-6099 and enter Meeting ID: 917 5921 3473
- Mon, Aug 30, 2021 at 07:00 PM -- -To Join Zoom Meeting https://us02web.zoom.us/j/83368367633 or Dial 1-929-205-6099 and enter Meeting ID: 833 6836 7633917 5921 3473
- Mon, Aug 23, 2021 at 07:00 PM -- via zoom teleconference https://zoom.us/j/91759213473 or Dial 1-929-205-6099 and enter Meeting ID: 917 5921 3473
- Mon, Jul 26, 2021 at 07:00 PM -- via zoom teleconference https://zoom.us/j/91759213473 or Dial 1-929-205-6099 and enter Meeting ID: 917 5921 3473
- Mon, Jun 28, 2021 at 07:00 PM -- via zoom teleconference https://zoom.us/j/91759213473 or Dial 1-929-205-6099 and enter Meeting ID: 917 5921 3473
- Thu, Jun 10, 2021 at 11:00 AM -- Zoom Meeting https://us02web.zoom.us/j/85219809433 or Dial 1-929-205-6099 and enter Meeting ID: 852 9180 9433
- Mon, May 24, 2021 at 07:00 PM -- via zoom teleconference https://zoom.us/j/91759213473 or Dial 1-929-205-6099 and enter Meeting ID: 917 5921 3473
- Mon, Apr 26, 2021 at 07:00 PM -- via zoom teleconference https://zoom.us/j/91759213473 or Dial 1-929-205-6099 and enter Meeting ID: 917 5921 3473
- Mon, Mar 22, 2021 at 07:00 PM -- via zoom teleconference https://zoom.us/j/91759213473 or Dial 1-929-205-6099 and enter Meeting ID: 917 5921 3473
- Mon, Feb 22, 2021 at 07:00 PM -- via zoom teleconference https://zoom.us/j/91759213473 or Dial 1-929-205-6099 and enter Meeting ID: 917 5921 3473
- Show 97 More...