Meeting Schedule: The Recreation Committee meets virtually at 6:30 pm on the second Wednesday of every month. Please see the town calendar for the link and agenda.
No meetings currently scheduled.
4 of 5 seats. 5 years each seat.
- Mary Lou Gallup. 2022.
- Norman Beebe (Elected). June, 2024. Shelburne Falls, MA
- Diana Hardina (Elected). June, 2025. Shelburne Falls, MA
- Stefan Topolski (Elected). 2027. Shelburne Falls, MA
|Cowell Gym Director||Bill Buck|
|Phone||(413) 625-0305 or 413-427-8227|
|FAX||Town office fax (413) 625-0303|
|Address||Cowell Gymnasium: 51 Maple Street, Shelburne MA
Mailing address Town Office, 51 Bridge Street, Shelburne MA 01370
Who we are
The Recreation Committee is an elected body consisting of five members which is responsible for advising the Board of Selectmen of all recreational needs of the town and establishing plans to meet those needs. Each member is elected for a five-year term.
What we do
The Recreation Committee schedules recreational activities for all age groups and oversees the general use and maintenance of the following recreational areas:
- Cowell Gymnasium and tennis courts
- Arms Academy Field
- Little Mohawk Baseball Field
- Playing fields located on the north end of the Buckland-Shelburne Elementary school.
Recreational Sports Opportunities For Kids: (listed on the Rec. Calendar too!)
Fall: September - October
West County Soccer:
- Open to kids in the 9 hilltowns
- K-6 grade.
- 6 Saturdays, 1-1 ½ hours at the fields behind the Buckland-Shelburne Elementary School.
- This is a developmental program, to engage kids in learning soccer, exercising, scrimmaging. Registration is free of charge, $10 for a West County Soccer t-shirt.
- Coached by volunteers.
- Contact: Jake Thurber, firstname.lastname@example.org if interested in coaching or having your child join in the fun!
Fliers will be sent out in the elementary school folders in September 2019. Find West County Soccer on FaceBook!
Winter: December - March
Cowell Gym Youth Basketball program:
- Free drop-in basketball for K-6 grade girls & boys from Shelburne, Buckland and Colrain.
- Run by volunteer parent coaches.
- Practices are held at 5:30 pm to 6:30 pm or 7:00 pm, once a week per age/grade group
- Skills and drills and short scrimmages. Kids are welcome to drop-in anytime throughout the winter. Clean sneakers for the gym are required. Fliers will be sent out in November in school folders plus information is posted on the calendar.
- If interested in learning more or interested in coaching, please contact Diana Hardina (625-9921).
Ice Skating (January-February): The Recreation Committee hopes to offer ice skating, free to all for the winter of 2022-2023. A small rink may be erected if the temperatures prove cold enough for proper freezing. More information to come in the future.
Spring: April - June
West County Girls Softball:
- Grades 2-3 and Grades 4-6.
- Practices and game schedule determined after registrations are collected.
- A flier/registration is sent out in the school folders.
- $25 fee for grades 2 and 3
- $40 fee for grades 4, 5, 6 (Hilltown Girls Softball League)
- Coached by volunteers
- Contact Norman Beebe (625-2904) if you have questions or are interested in coaching.
Shelburne Youth Baseball and T-ball April- June
Information about Baseball and T-ball is not currently available, please check back.
Spring/Summer/Fall: April- October
Basketball, Tennis and Pickleball at the Cowell Gym's outdoor Community Courts.
Walking and Hiking in Shelburne
There are great hiking trails in the town of Shelburne. Download the Shelburne Trails Brochure put together by the Shelburne Open Space Committee for some ideas. Copies can also be found at the town hall or the Shelburne Falls Visitor Center.
Recreational Sports Opportunities For Adults: (listed on the Rec. Calendar too!)
- Basketball (Tuesday evenings, over 35 adult coed)
- Volleyball (Wednesday and some Friday evenings)
- Senior Walk (Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings)
- Wed, Nov 9, 2022 at 06:30 PM -- ZOOM via https://us02web.zoom.us/j/82748603980?pwd=RmdJYjg1OTd3RU5PbzN6b05UbFp4Zz09
- Mon, Aug 1, 2022 at 06:30 PM -- via Zoom, https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81583727739 or call 929-205-6099
- Mon, Jun 6, 2022 at 06:30 PM -- via Zoom: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/87525070769
- Mon, May 16, 2022 at 06:30 PM -- via Zoom, link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/83661245625
- Wed, Apr 13, 2022 at 06:00 PM -- via Zoom, https://us02web.zoom.us/j/85773366377
- Thu, Mar 17, 2022 at 04:00 PM -- virtual via Zoom
- Thu, Dec 9, 2021 at 06:30 PM -- virtual via Zoom, https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89756510721
- Wed, Sep 22, 2021 at 06:30 PM
- Thu, Jan 7, 2021 at 07:00 PM -- virtual https://zoom.us/j/91076902122 or call 929-205-6099